Re: [LUG] OT: Preventing electrostatic discharge

On Fri, 2005-08-12 at 09:27 +0100, Grant Sewell wrote:

> external electrical influence (such as lightning) is also a consideration.

> It wouldn't matter whether it was the building or the cable that was hit,

Indeed it doesn't need to be hit, merely to have a lightning stroke
nearby.

The EMP produced induces large voltages in long pieces of wire, and
those outside the Faraday cage of a building[1] can be propagated into
the buildings on each end.

I'm interested in LED/laser optical links at the moment, although I
think the masts I'd require to get line of sight and the distance of
around 1000 meters make the solution marginal to unfeasible here.

VPN over radio mesh though I might go for.

[1] certainly a building with a steel frame or chickenwire in its
plaster walls, less certainly this one and other houses.