Re: [LUG] nVidia card Drivers

On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 20:03:53 +0100
Ben Goodger wrote:

> Press CTRL-Backspace, and then again if it puts you to a GDM screen. Then
> log back in with the text interface.
>
> On 09/08/05, Julian Hall <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Tom Arrow wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > > I recently bought a nVidia Tornado Geforce FX 5200. I have the driver
> > > for all nVidia graphics cards on a LXF DVD. After reading the readme I
> > > realised I needed to kill X. I eventually managed to move the mouse
> > > fast enough to get X into the top list. I changed to tty6 and typed
> > > kill then X's pid. X stayed closed for a few seconds then reopened
> > > and I was flicked back to tty7. In short how on FC4 do I kill X then
> > > keep it closed.
> > > Thanks

Alternatively, you could do the following (worked on Mandrake 9.1 and still works in
Debian Sid):
Switch to a terminal (CTRL+ALT+F3 should do).
Log in.
Become root.
Stop the X init with: #/etc/init.d/gdm stop
(obviously, if you're using XDM or KDM, then substitute gdm for your chosen login
manager).
Depending on the system, you may need to then change back to your GUI screen and do
the ol' CTRL+ALT+BackSpace to kill X, or not.
Once you've established that X is well and truly dead, go back to your console and
apply the nVidia drivers as per the instructions.
Note, however, that the nVidia installation routine does not edit your X config file
for you, so you still need to do that before re-starting X.
And *always* keep a backup copy of your X config file before you edit it!
Oh, and to restart the GUI, restart the login manager:
#/etc/init.d/gdm restart
(you can use "start" instead of "restart", it doesn't really matter).

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.