Re: [LUG] mouse goes mad - reports "lost synch"

On Wed, 13 Jul 2005 22:29:15 +0100
Adrian Midgley wrote:

> SuSE 9.2
> I don't think the type of mouse is relevant, but it is a cheap optical
> one going through a KVM switch.  PS/2
>
> Occasionally it goes mad, and any movement of the mouse (or of another
> one that I plug in instead) produces a hail of clicks on the screen,
> lots of random activity.
>
> I may be missing something, but what should I expect to close down, kill
> or remmod and replace in order to restart the thing from scratch?

I found exactly the same thing occurred when I had a machine going through the
Windows installation routines on the KVM - the moment I switch from the Windows
installer back to a Linux desktop the mouse goes nuts.  I don't know whether it's
anything to do with what protocol the mouse is being told to use (I don't really
know what goes on on that front), but I found that I could get it to work again if I
either restarted X or plugged in a USB mouse, let it initialise on Linux and then
unplug it again.  Very strange.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.