Re: [LUG] Software patent directive is history.

On 7/6/05, Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  The European Parliament has voted by a massive majority to reject the
> software patents directive, formally known as the Directive on the
> Patentability of Computer Implemented Inventions. The vote to scrap the
> bill was passed by a margin of 648 votes to 14, with 18 abstentions.

Unfortunately this till leaves a lot for us to do.

The UKPO is continuing to allow pure and trivial software patents and
you would have to be very naive to think the forces of greed and
corruption will let this drop.

Unfortunately I expect things to get worse quickly as they attempt to
establish case law, etc to acheive their goals without new legislation
and this needs to be stopped in the bud before it turns nasty.

Anybody familiar with what has been going on should contact their MP
about the UKPO's dodgy lobbying and patenting of software. MPs should
be holding the guilty parties to account and getting the UKPO to clean
up the mess it has made.

A.