Re: [LUG] Editing the wiki

On Wednesday 22 June 2005 11:20 am, Tony Sumner wrote:
> I too would like to know how the wiki works

It's split. There are standard Wiki pages and static pages like News and
Reviews and the members area itself. This is because the Wiki alone cannot
create all the required content. When browsing the Wiki, editable pages have
a toolbar at the bottom:
BackLinks PageCalendar RSS/Atom last changed on ...
If you are logged in as a member, browsing the members/wiki pages will add
EditPage into that toolbar. Wiki pages also have the navigation bar at the
top: e.g. FrontPage -> documentation.

Other pages without the toolbar and navigation bar, although they may appear
as part of the Wiki, are actually where the Wiki joins the rest of the site.

In fact, the News and Reviews page does have this stated at the bottom:
"This is a static page, it cannot be edited directly in the wiki. It is used
to link older static reviews with the newer wiki based reviews."

i.e. News and Reviews is a join. It's where the Wiki mixes with the rest of
the site content, like the subscription page, list FAQ, members area and
archive. (None of which can be brought inside the Wiki properly).

Last year, I spent a considerable amount of time testing various CMS systems
and discussed the problems with Alex, Simon and Matt. No suitable solution
was found so I updated the Wiki and worked with what we had.

The Wiki is fine for documentation, links and descriptions of events but it
does have problems with things like the members area. After all, no-one would
accept a members area that allowed any member to edit the personal pages (in
the Members Register) of other members. Those kinds of pages remain scripts.

Similarly, the Wiki is not suited to creating new members because the
authentication isn't compatible.

News and Reviews is now debatable. There was a need for it to catch the latest
headlines from common Linux-oriented sites but it's time to take a straw
poll:

Say aye all those who regularly use the News section or view it often.

Say nay for those who prefer to use RSS or other methods to keep abreast of
the news.

If there aren't many people wanting to use the current News page, I'll turn it
into a Wiki page where reviews can have the page to themselves and allow full
editing. Currently, there's no way to get the Wiki to insert the headlines in
an editable page.

> though my problem is
> different. I wrote a review of Kubuntu and put it in the News and
> Reviews section but it is listed with my name instead of the name of
> the distro.

The distro name isn't available to the script that generates the News and
Reviews page. If people don't want the News section then this could change.

> How do I change it?

The review itself has the distro name. The index cannot display the distro
name within the current page.

--

Neil Williams