Re: [LUG] 3D graphics cards

Pretty much anything NVidia is going to be of some use :)

I recently bought a PNY 6600 nvidea based card and was STUNNED by its
performance. I only reurned it since it sounded like a jet engine taking
off and i like my life to be quiet more than i like playing games on PCs.

I'll double check that model number but it was basically £99 in PCWorld.

More expensive NVidia cards have fan sensor chips on them and there is a
linux utility you can get that can dynamically control the speed of the
fan according to temps. The utlity was nvclock if i remember rightly.

Sadly, you get what you pay for though and the cheap (well, £99) cards
don't have this sensor/adjustment in them. It would seem the world has
gone rather mad and while i consider £99 to be a huge amount of money for
a graphics card, and thus want performance, temps, and quietness, it would
seem the rest of the world thinks this is cheap and £300 is higher end
(well, for consumers anyway!) :o)

Martin.