Re: [LUG] Thursdays Meeting / Debian Questions

As someone who is still learning about Debian:

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 02:32:25PM +0100, Tom Brough wrote:
> Before I forget.
<snip>

> I had to configure /etc/aptsources or whatever it was called manually in
> order to get openoffice and then only got 1.0.3 for my efforts. So is
> there anyway of getting a more up to date version of openoffice via deb
> packages ?

Before I start:
a) Debian Testing (aka Sarge) is now fixed, is due to become the Debian
Stable on 6 June
b) The new Debian testing will become Sid

Open Office in Sarge is 1.1.3. The easiest way to update your system to
Sarge and update all your packages is I believe:

- change /etc/apt/sources.list so that the search is for
..../debian / testing main contrib non-free
(ie change the stable to testing)

- apt-get update
- apt-get dist-upgrade

> Also can anyone tell me how to get a 2.4 (or better still 2.6) kernel up
> and running or will I need to get Sarge / Sid for that ?

apt-get install install kernel .....

As for which one I leave you / others to advise. (I am still having
problems getting my kernels right)

> All that said debian did get me out of trouble with openmcu (since its
> packaged (unlike FC 3), but again not the most recent of versions.
>
> I was also impressed with the package management in Debian. It seemed to
> be fast and efficient, and just got on with the job. It certainly has
> the edge over up2date with respect to elegant operation, however I have
> a minor niggle in that it stops and asks questions every now and again.
> This is ok, but if you where planning to schedule apt-get update would
> this not be problematic ?

Install and configure cron-apt:
- apt-get install cron-apt

You then need to configure cron-apt: go into /etc/cron-apt:
- open config. Remove most of the #
- Open action.d/3-download. Amend the command to upgrade -y -o (read man
  apt-get for details of what these commands mean). The default includes
  -d (download only)

I get an email each morning that then tells me what has changed.

<snip>

Henry