Re: [LUG] Pinnacle DC10+ in Linux

Robin Cornelius wrote:

In a word yes.

NDIS is a well defined sub system of windows designed to make network device drivers for window simpler to write (by exposing a limited API). When people write a network device driver for windows they write a NDIS driver NOT a windows driver there is a HUGE different in implementation. A NDIS windows driver plugs in to the NDIS subsystem not directly in to the NT kernel.

As the NDIS subsystem is as a defined and limited API it is possible to emulate NDIS calls which is what ndiswrapper does. To emulate other drivers would be near impossible as you would have to emulate the whole of NT's kernel. If other drivers have similar sub driver assemblies like NDIS does then you could emulate a sub driver in the same way but a generic windows driver, NO.

OK so that's looking like a bit of a non-starter then... I was hoping that, at least logically, all capture cards (and their controlling chips) do the same job, ie deliver video input to the system, therefore it would be a *relatively* simple job of interpreting what the Windows driver was producing and feeding that to something like V4L2.

Seems more complex than I thought.. ho hum... I'll *try* running Pinnacle Studio via WINE and see *if* that captures. I'm not holding my breath though as I think it will be a pointless exercise, other than losing a couple of hours I'll not see again.

Thanks for the input Robin and Grant :)

Kind regards,

Julian