Re: [LUG] meeting postcode

On Friday 27 May 2005 17:21, Ben Goodger wrote:
You want google maps - I don't know what Google Local is trying to do,
especially since Maps does the same thing:

http://maps.google.com

On 27/05/05, Simon Robert <simon-robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Not really DCLUG issue, but.. tried google local and IMHO it ain't
great. Put in the CC postcode and you get a page listing local business,
go to stage two and put the postcode in search and you get a map showing
lots of B&B's in the area, but not pin-pointing the actual postcode.

Tried my own postcode and I end up with a map centred on Tiverton, 8
miles away, area covering the Blackdown Hills and half of Exemoor, plus
a list of every Indian Takeaway in mid Devon.

It is a beta though and is probably great if you want a takeaway.

Google local is for finding *things* in your area, as you say try part of your
post code eg TR11 and Pizza and see all your local Pizza shops appear. Google
maps is a mapping system like multimap shows a map of a given postcode etc.
Now at the top of google map screens is a google local search, this combines
the two and shows you a map overlayed with the position of google locals
results (so you can find your pizza shop) :-)

--
Robin Cornelius
robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx