Re: [LUG] OT: Verifying DMI Pool Data...

On Monday 23 May 2005 10:01 am, Grant Sewell wrote:
When the College pay me enough to be able to run my PC(s) 24/7, then I will
consider it.  Until then... :D

Is it really going to increase your costs THAT much? A headless box or, if you
always turn the monitor off when you leave it, a single desktop - can't be a
huge drain on electricity, especially if it's fairly modern.

Check your jumper settings for cable-select settings on the hard drive(s)
and change the hard drive cable. I've seen this with a damaged ribbon
cable.

Hmm.... damaged cable.  Will take a look later.  It's not going to be a C/S
problem - haven't used C/S in donkeys years.  Can't stand it.

:-)

While you're checking the cable, blast one of those compressed air cans at the
innards and check all the other connections / cables.

Also, see if there's some way to check the CMOS battery condition from the
BIOS or even directly.

Self-built system.

With no C/S, it's less serious but the cable could still fail. Depends how
well you built it!
:-))

Did you have to force or curl any cables to make them fit / reach or was there
plenty of room for each one? Any second-hand cables?

Harddrive doesn't seem to disappear - indeed, it's been
completely reliable since I got it, and I hope I haven't just jinxed it!

I meant it would disappear sometime hence, IF the cable was damaged - using
C/S makes it a little more likely that the hard drive would suddenly vanish.
Changing the jumpers to not use C/S would then make it reappear - possibly
giving you a false sense of security. Not a problem with a self-build without
C/S.

--

Neil Williams