Re: [LUG] Problems with APT...

On Sat, 14 May 2005 14:07:41 +0100
Neil Williams wrote:

Grant Sewell wrote:
Hi all.

Just a quick question: is anyone else having problems with their
Debian setups?  Every time this week I have tried to "apt-get update"
I get a tonne of connection errors regardless of which mirror I use,

I think it is something related to your own connections, - you and Bob.
I have several systems with varying connection setups and none have had
recurrent problems. Occasionally, one fails to get the package lists but
it is always resolved at the next attempt.

I can guarantee that there is nothing on my side of the WAN connection that is
playing-up, and when I have taken the lappy into College, I also get the same
problems from time-to-time with their ADSL line.  My setup has not changed at all in
recent months yet each system has recurrently failed to retrieve package lists or
individual deb files when upgrading.  Obviously I cannot say whether my ISP has
changed their setup or not.

and then when I try to do an "apt-get upgrade" I get a bunch of
"connection timed out" and "data socket timed out" errors.  It's
getting to be quite irritating.

Change the time of your upgrade requests and use cron-apt to do an
upgrade at times when the system (and your ISP's systems) are quietest.

Unfortunately I tend to be in bed, asleep, when my ISP's systems are quietest and so
I generally turn off the computers (none of them are Internet visible servers, so I
have no need to 24/7 uptime... with the exception of my IPCop box, which isn't
Debianised anyway)... I'm not sure it would be worth bothering leaving my machines
on overnight purely so that they can update/upgrade on their own.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.