Re: [LUG] Removing anmaster boot record.

aaron Moore wrote:

HI
I am tring to rejuvinate an old computer for my daughter, unfortunately she wants windows. I have deleted all old linux partitions and done fdisk /mbr a number of times but I am still unable to fomat the drive prior to loading windows 98. Formating just stops at around 71%. In the past I have done this with fdisk /mbr but this time it just won't have it. Has anyne got any other methods i can try, or has the HDD gone up country?
All the best to all

The MBR should have nothing to do with the format problem. The MBR is just for booting. The disk may have errors that windows format just can't cope with. Have you tried a live cd or a rescue cd/floppy (linux of course) and used a linux format tool to create a FAT32 drive? It may work or at least give you some verbose info as a clue.

Robin