Re: [LUG] OT: OSS development "Septic Knee"

Sorry, no idea at all how that got reposted, damned webmailers, evidently nobody who read it the first time could be bothered to reply anyway but that's OK.

One might "prefer the term" free software as in the GNU FAQ, but there are certainly times when the term "open source" is more useful. You must remember there is no zero-cost option, and when one needs to deploy software the use of the developers preferred term is not necessarily more useful than a less confusing, but no less accurate alternative. There is another convention, "netiquette" that using all caps in a posted message (except for abbreviation) equates to shouting, and that is not always followed is it?

Although I did have a specific project in mind my earlier post was intended to provoke a discussion of real-world dynamics. I have no wish to engage in a competition of philosophical pedantry.