Re: [LUG] Laptop recommendations

Robin Cornelius wrote:

I had some problems with the PCMCIA support on a new Toshiba (can't remember exact model but can check when i go to work if you require). It appears that toshiba make their own cardbus bridges and they don't seem to be as well supported as other card bridges. May be an issue to be careful of.

I had a similar issue with my Compaq. However, it was relatively easy to fix - of course as all things are, once I knew HOW :) As I recall the issue with Cardbus slots is the 2.6.* kernels do not automatically set up the correct address ranges and ports in /etc/pcmcia/pcmcia.opts and it needs to be edited. I'm working from an admittedly fauty memory but if you search the DCGLUG Archive for the last month you should pick up the original thread.

Everything else works on the Compaq out of the box in Mandrake 10.1, some things better than Windows 2000 :) It's a Compaq R3307EA (there's also a Linux mailing list specifically for this family of laptop) available from PC World for £658.99 inc VAT and delivery. Usually I wouldn't touch PCW with a bargepole but occasionally you can pick up a bargain. I think for £50 more you can get one with WiFi onboard as well, comfortably under your £1100 budget Mark :)

Kind regards,

Julian