Re: [LUG] Council Presidency "Adopts" Software Patent Agreement

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 15:26:29 -0000, James Wonnacott
<jwon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've tried to make this point before, but no-one listens:-

The EU and democracy are mutually exclusive.
The only way is OUT!

This isn't the case - the european parliament has been reformed and a
lot of the system did the right thing - the directive even brings the
treaty-controlled EPO under the remit of the European
Council/Parliament.

The alternative to this is far far worse - exactly the backroom deals,
secret treaties, unaccountable power and corruption that we are
fighing in the European Council.

The shady corners of the EU where the light of accountability and
democracy fail to reach are getting smaller and if we carry on pushing
they will go.

Rather than giving up, you could contact your MP, MEP and try and
reach people like Lord Sainsbury and Peter Mandelson who are clearly
responsable for failing to act and do their jobs.

Also you can't blame the EU for what the Council of Ministers did -
the ministers are from our government - and should be following the
instructions of parliament.

The failure here lies with the Tories and Labour for just rubber
stamping bad legislation in europe. You could also blame the UK press
for ignoring the huge news story that this is and focussing on crap
like Charles Wedding, etc.

You can't blame the european parliament or much of the EU infrastructure.