Re: [LUG] Thunderbird problem

Alex Charrett wrote:

By default, majordomo doesn't generate those headers. I added them to the configuration at Neil W's request.

To be honest getting all mailing lists in the world to be consistant sounds a pretty impossible task!

Oops. Apologies for stirring up what appears to be a hornet's nest. The only reason I asked the question was simply that filtering based on a white mail list is to all intents and purposes impossible for anyone subscribed to a mailing list. The filter I was referring to *only* works properly by referring to addresses in the recipient's address book. In other words "If it's not in the address book, bin it".

It is *not* a question of being unable to filter out spam which has been suggested elsewhere, that couldn't be simpler - click the message in the Junk column and then delete all mail marked as Junk. The point I was trying to make is that there is no real point in the facility to operate a white list existing if the bulk of email received is from a source that cannot be filtered using it.

I do take the point that was made regarding it not being possible to look for mail from a specific person as easily if the mail all comes from the one address. It comes down to a choice between wasting 60-70% daily of my email bandwidth downloading rubbish that will be deleted immediately and being able to find an email that was sent recently, or a zero spam and having to look a bit harder. My personal choice would be option 2, although I respect that not everyone feels that way.

I'll have a play with the filters on my system to see if I can get a configuation that works. If I do I'll let you all know.

Kind regards,

Julian