[LUG] Re: OT broadband speed / restrictions

Adrian Midgley wrote:

because most of us want to download a page in an instant, then spend a
while reading it, then download another in an instant.

Fair point, except you're on the web, WWW, aka World Wide Wait. A fast connection can be akin to sitting in a rented Porsche next to a Mini Cooper in a traffic jam. Neither of you are going anywhere fast, but the Porsche is burning a lot more petrol doing nothing, and the driver paid a lot more for the privilege of sitting in it next to the Mini. Also you can both only go as fast as the speed limit, in this case the bandwidth available from the server you're connecting to / the number of users connected to it.

For browsing a 30Kb page would download at 128Kbits in just under 2 seconds. 256Kb in 1 second. 512Kb in 0.5 seconds. However you'd pay possibly double the price for the privilege, not accounting for a slow server at the other end.

I'm not trying to be difficult, I just have issues with ISPs who allege to provide a service, and then impose Draconian limits on usage. If I pay for a 1.5Mb cable connection I don't expect to be confined to using it for the same amount I could do on bonded-ISDN.

Anyway this is off-topic really, so unless there are no objections to continuing this in the list, please feel free to mail me off-list if you would like to discuss the issue :)

Kind regards,

Julian

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 265.8.7 - Release Date: 10/02/2005