Re: [LUG] general hardware question?

Julian Hall wrote:

Either way, to start you off I would recommend Nvidia as the graphics card choice. Although I'm sure others will have found ATI to work adequately, I found my old ATI card to be a nightmare, whereas Nvidia provide (via download) a Universal driver that will run all the modern Nvidia cards in (their website claims) all versions of Linux. :) Also Nvidia motherboards have a driver set you can download specifically for Linux too.

Could not agree more about the graphics card. Unless you can absolutely guarantee that the ati graphics card will work with Linux I would go with something else. My ATI works but not to its full capacity, and when installing (FC2) I hard to use a whole load of boot options to turn off a lot features to even get it to install. Unfortunately, I can't remember what those options are, which is putting me off from upgrading to FC3

When I did try installing the ATI rpm driver that they provide it didn't work. Then again it might be just me not knowing what I was doing.

Wills