Re: [LUG] Web browser query...

On Friday 28 January 2005 17:41, Simon Waters wrote:
Anton Channing wrote:
| Can anyone explain why:
|
| Mozilla is installed in the /usr/lib directory
|
| Firefox is installed in the /etc directory
|
| and
|
| Konqueror is installed in the /usr/bin directory?
|
| I mean, they are all web browsers, so why do they
| get installed to different directories?

Bad distribution management?
Or misunderstanding on your part?

I'd vote the second (sorry Anton).

Hey, I don't mind!  Really this came about
when I was looking for the directories
they were in, so I could install a plugin.
They all seemed to be in different places.

Under Debian Sarge...

srw@xxxxx:~$ type firefox
firefox is /usr/bin/firefox
srw@xxxxx:~$ type mozilla
mozilla is /usr/bin/mozilla
srw@xxxxx:~$ type konqueror
konqueror is /usr/bin/konqueror

Also under Debian Sarge...
chaoshex5:/# type firefox
bash: type: firefox: not found
chaoshex5:/# type mozilla
mozilla is /usr/bin/mozilla
chaoshex5:/# type konqueror
konqueror is /usr/bin/konqueror

So it looks like konqueror is in
/usr/bin after all.

Although where the actual executable was
is not what the plugin wanted to know.
It was more about the directory where all
its files were kept I suppose.  Where it
needed to go to be used as a plugin.
I found Mozilla because the plugin suggested
that directory.  Firefox I went searching for
and found.  I didn't find a directory for
Konqueror, but I did find its executable
in /usr/bin/

I dunno, the thing I find most confusing about
linux is the file structure.  Its very esoteric.
I'm sure once you become one of the enlightened
ones in the inner circle it all makes perfect
sense, but its not exactly friendly to the average
user.  I understand more now than I did, but
it seems to be a slow learning curve.

Anton