Re: [LUG] Linux Laptop

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 21:09:46 +0000
Neil Williams wrote:

I don't have any PCMCIA cards myself to test that functionality, but the
rest including USB (which played silly sods in XP) worked first time.

Depends on what the card is doing, I've found adapter cards like CF work fine,
cards for networking can be more troublesome and are prone to breakage.

I have a 3Com MegaHertz 10/100 PCMCIA card.  Model 3CCFE574BT.  Works an absolute
treat.  It's recognised upon insertion, but also works nicely if left in the slot
permanently (I've heard some stories of cards not being recognised on boot if
they're already present... weird).

Also got a PSION-DACOM "Gold Card Global" 56k/Fax/ISDN card.  Can't say about the
ISDN side of things, but the 56k works fine - it presents just like a serial modem.

I have a D-Link Air DWL-610 (although lspci shows it as a dwl-510).  No luck
what-so-ever (so far) with Linux-specific 'drivers'.  I've had a go at the ol' edit
the RTL8180 sources, but it doesn't seem to work.  Works a treat with NDISwrapper,
but that's cheating.

And to cap things off... I have a Cisco Aironet 350.  Doesn't work at all.  Doesn't
even register with the system, so I can't try using ndis.  Cisco do have some
specific 'drivers' for Linux for this device, but they're for 2.4.x series kernels
only.  The airo and airo_cs modules are also not playing.  It has crossed my mind
that this might be a dead card, but since I haven't got any Windows laptops around
to play with, I can't really test it.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.