Re: [LUG] Meeting in Paignton

Having read all the comments in this thread, I thought I'd come and post my own.

** Disclaimer: I am (as you may tell by my email address) a part of the FSF **

Assuming everyone is clear on the indisputable fact that Linux is not an operating system, I can see clear benefit in making reference to GNU for the simple fact that someday, we might not be using the Linux kernel - not saying we're all going to switch to GNU/Hurd, but the possibility is there.

The GNU system we use today is the result of much work on the part of Richard Stallman and the FSF, and simply referring to this mixture of GNU project and Linux kernel as anything other than GNU/Linux only weakens the efforts of the free software movement, I believe.

As for Apple - there's a very obvious reason why Richard doesn't ask for it to be called GNU/Mac OS X or GNU/Windows when you have Cygwin installed - the GNU project didn't set out to make a set of free tools for Apple or Red Hat to package up in a nice way and ship to users of proprietary operating systems - they set out to create a free UNIX, and that's what GNU/Linux is.

The skills learnt today on Debian GNU/Linux could easily be transferred to GNU/Hurd or GNU/Mattx or whatever - personally, I see no reason to refer to things as OS/Kernel, it's not like Darwin/XNU or Windows XP/Whatever help us any - I'd prefer to refer to it as GNU, but unfortunately that's not an option any longer.

Having a GNU/Linux user group makes sense - the majority of users will be using GNU/Linux in some form and it encourages new members to understand the nature of free software and the freedoms offered by the GNU GPL.

I don't want GNU/Linux to remain the realm of geeks and hackers, I want it to be used by more and more regular users. In all honesty, I don't really care about the geeks and the hackers, because they'll use it anyway. What free software can do is amazing, and what GNU/Linux can do is amazing too, but I think the movement needs to focus its efforts now on helping regular, non-technical people to use GNU/Linux.

I'd like to see an end to a lot of things..

* Desktop environments shipping with a terminal on the taskbar.
* Inconsistent interfaces/toolkits
* The phrase RTFM - let's give people the places to find information themselves - Wikipedia is really good example of this.

Apple have shown us how to take an Unix-like operating system and make it work for everyone - if you look how different Mac OS X is now to the last released version of NeXTSTEP, you'll see the kind of improvements we're starting to see.

Right now, I believe Debian is the distribution that the community should promote to new users. Debian testing, to be exact. It can be easily upgraded, seems rock solid, supports a beautiful and consistent interface in the form of GNOME and hot plugging of devices works like a dream. I find KDE to be Windows with eye-candy, whereas GNOME and its spatial interface actually works. My mother, having never used GNOME before was able to login, open a browser and log onto her GMail account without problems - this is the kind of thing we need to promote, and promoting the purpose of free software let's us do just that. GNU/Linux. GNU/Linux. GNU/Linux. GNU/Linux.

matt