Re: [LUG] Recommended ADSL ISP's and ADSL routers.

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 20:00:17 -0000
Pete Hatton wrote:

Hi all,

I'm on the move shortly from Chippenham to Bristol. For the last 2 years
I've had the wonders of Blueyonder broadband, who unfortunately do not cover
Chippenham.

Now I know this question gets asked often on here. Anyone got any good
recommended ADSL ISP's. My only requirement is no download cap limit. Static
IP is a bonus, but not essential.

And also I'm after a suitable ADSL router, than can handle port forwarding
and also VPN's, anyone know any good routers that they like to recommend?

Thanks everyone!

Pete Hatton

I'm with prodigynet.co.uk and I'm using a cheap ADSL router from ebuyer.co.uk

The router allows port-forwarding, and also allows you to put it in "bridging" mode
should you have another router behind it (like an IPCop box, for example).  I've not
tried the ol' VPN thing *properly* yet...

Prodigynet don't cap you or block any ports.  I think you can get a static IP if you
ask them nicely... not bothered myself.  They offer a true "wires only" service so I
guess they couldn't care whether you run servers or not.  They are Linux "aware",
but since they're not selling you any kit, they won't actively support any OS...
they give you the line details and it's up to you to make it work!

As far as I am aware, they are a fairly small outfit.  Let's just say that the only
occasion I had to phone them (besides setting up the account) I got through to a
network engineer rather than a "help desk" person.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.