[LUG] Compressing multiple files into a multi-part archive?

Hi folks,

I've just spent an interesting weekend downloading Suse 9.2 from one of their
mirror sites so I could perform an installation from FTP.  The installation of
Suse 9.2 was quick and relatively easy which I'm pleased about.

Now I have about 12GB of files from one of the mirrors (thats before I start
downloading the x86_64 version!) and rather than keep it on my server I'd like
to back it up over a couple of DVDs.

I was wondering, is there anything that I can use which can compress the
directory and subdirectories that I downloaded into a couple of files but
allow them to be split into either 700MB files for CD-R or 4GB files for DVD-R?

I have got round the problem at the moment by using the shareware version of
RAR for Linux.  I did try DAR but it was missing a load of libraries which I
couldn't seem to find.

I'm doing this all on my Linux based server which is running SME Server 6.0

By the way, if anyone fancies a copy of the FTP mirror let me know, not sure
if the whole 12GB is needed for a standard install of SuSE, but I figured I'd
get the whole lot just in case.

Rob