Re: [LUG] Listing files in apt?

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 20:16:30 +0000
Neil Williams wrote:

I was going to say exactly the same thing - compiling from source is always
the time when a Debian user starts looking at the apt tree from the other
direction.

I remember my problems with GnuCash - so my advice is usually, Google. There
are lists out there of the packages required to compile certain programs -
often in public mailing list archives, like ours.
dependencies gnucash
brings up lots and lots of pages in Google.

I've always gone to the Debian website and used the package search:
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
Search engine forms are near the bottom of the page.

These have a useful add-on that you can tell which version is in which
distribution - important when adding a dependency of your own.

Thanks Neil.  I've already used that many times, and it's pretty damn handy!  Does
that show *all* of Debian?  Contrib, non-free, non-us, etc, etc?

Cheers.

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.