Re: [LUG] Wireless networking

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:53:31 +0000
Julian Hall wrote:

Re ndiswrapper, it looks as though MDK10.0 already has 0.4 built in,
which I must remove and then install the latest version.  Also seems
that it doesn't uninstall cleanly which is a downer as I then have to
edit files to get rid of what it left behind.  On the plus side they
seem to support all the latest Linksys kit, and as I have been pointed
to Linksys by a friend locally who has a wireless network (Windows
boo-hiss! ;)), I will probably go that way.

Kind regards,

Julian

Not had any experience with Linksys, but since they're a subsidiary of Cisco they're
probably quite good pieces of kit.  Just been on the Linksys.com site.  Plenty of
links to GPLd code used within their products.  Drivers for their wireless NICs
seems sketchy.

Linksys Instant Wireless Network PC Card (QuickFind: 37477) - WPC11 - The following
Linux drivers are provided as-is and are not support by Linksys Customer Support.

Linksys W/less G Pc Card - Adapter With Speedbooster (QF: 63761) - WPC54GS - "driver
utility" .zip file - 17Mb... which, funnily enough, is a Windows thing.

Any surprises there?

Grant.
--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.