[LUG] ADSL Problems

I have 3 router/modems.

The Creative model has no firewall and works perfectly with
Debian/Libranet/SuSE et al, but of course is wide open to the big bad world,
even with a distro firewall behind it according to pcflank.com; who seem to
run the best firewall tests that I can find.  I tried installing my IPCop box
behind it, but have had no luck so far using an etho connection.  I get the
indications that I'm connected but nothing happens.  Will sort that later -
perhaps.  I like this model as it seems  faster/more livelier than the others

My laptop is connected using a D-Link 504T router which will only work if I
disable the distro firewall on whatever I'm using (back to using SuSE 9.2 Pro
at the moment).  But on SuSe I cannot use the Yast Online Update as no
mirrors appear and if I feed in an URL it freezes/does nothing.  Mail and
browsing work perfectly on all distros.  With Libranet* apt works fine until
I do a dist-upgrade.  It then fails to connect to any listed mirrors, even
after an apt-setup - *similarly with Knoppix and Ubuntu.

On my main Boxes (ad hoc network via a 4 port switch) etho'd into a Netgear
router/modem/firewall I have exactly the same problem as with the D-Link.

I must be doing something wrong.  Any ideas please?

David Bell

--
Hatherleigh
Devon