Re: [LUG] Sending a Fax

Neil Williams wrote:
On Saturday 01 January 2005 9:32 am, Mike Tidball wrote:

I'm having trouble sending a fax.

Internal modem?
External modem?

Model? Driver?
External USROBOTICS FAXMODEM Suse just found it and it's been fine for dial up internet.

I have saved the document as a text file.
I have then tried sending it via kdeprintfax.

Most internal modems are software modems - much of the hardware of an external modem is absent. When the software driver is not open source, GNU/Linux drivers have to do what they can to solve the main problem: connecting to the internet. This is not always possible but the fact that even some Winmodems can connect to the internet under GNU/Linux without any support from the manufacturer is a massive achievement.

Fax capability is a separate function within the driver and has a far lower priority because a fax itself is largely outdated technology. Although sending a fax may appear simple, each internal modem software driver handles the protocol in a different way and without manufacturer support, fax via an internal modem in GNU/Linux is a rare thing.

/bin/sh: /usr/bin/fax: No such file or directory

You also appear not to have installed the fax protocol so even if your modem supports it, it cannot be enabled.
How do i install Fax Protocol,It does not appear in Yast's list of packages

Install efax or gfax - make sure you are installing a fax SENDER application, not a fax VIEWER application like kfax.
Not available on the cd's I'll have to search the net.

I am using Suse 9.2 and have gone into yast and searched and installed
everything available to do with faxing,

Not if /usr/bin/fax doesn't exist - you've missed something.
I've checked in yast again and everything that comes with the distro's in there

Besides, installing everything is usually a recipe for problems - some alternative packages cannot sit side by side. You may have been lucky this time but this is not a good habit.

one program listed is send fax, but typing this into the run box doesent
work.Nor does typing it into a shell.

Then install it (and uninstall some of the other junk that you brought in

earlier).
It is installed

What is the simplest way of sending a text file to a fax number?

Most people don't bother with faxes at all.
I know but for my line of work it is the best way for certain things.