[LUG] Thunderbird

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 19:39:45 +0000
From: Neil Winchurst <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Thunderbird

As a fairly new user of Linux I have always tried to use RPM files for
any new programs. However I thought I would like to try Thunderbird and
that comes as a tar.gz file.

I have downloaded version 1.0. I have expanded it so that I now have a
new folder (Thunderbird) with many subdirectories. The instructions say
to simply use the command thunderbird.

I moved to the new directory and ran ./thunderbird. This gave me the
following message.

thunderbird-bin: error while loading shared libraries: libXft.so.2
cannot open shared object file. No such file or directory.

I have carried out a search and I have found libXft.so.1 on my system
(Mandrake 9.0). Is this the problem? If so and I upgrade to the newer
file is that all I need to do? And will the upgrade cause me any
problems elsewhere?

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

TIA

Neil Winchurst