Re: [LUG] Yahoo Messenger on Mandrake 10

On Sunday 12 Dec 2004 18:56, Julian Hall wrote:
Hi All,

Trying to install Yahoo Messenger on MDK10.0.

Reason is simple.  Kopete refuses point blank to accept my Yahoo
password (although it logs me in fine to ICQ which none of my friends
use anymore!).  I know for a fact I am supplying the correct password as
it works in Windows' Yahoo Messenger, therefore Kopete is at fault.

Yep, this happens when Yahoo! change their protocols. I suggest trying the
latest version if you don't already have it.

Also try gaim.

So, trying to install YIM for Linux.  I tried the RH9 version of YIM but
every time I execute /usr/bin"ymessenger it repeatedly asked me to setup
the program and never actually ran it.  Then I found a website which
said for MDK10 use the RH8 version as the RH9 version seg faults.  So I
uninstalled rhw RH9 version and put the RH8 version on.

Guess what?  It seg faulted!!

So I have two choices:

1.  Figure out why Kopete is screwing up logging me into Yahoo.
2.  Find a version of YIM that works in Mandrake 10.

I don't run Mandrake before but remember this issue from when I did... I think
its looking for a particular version of a library. I solved it by creating a
symbolic link from the version of the library I had to the filename of the
version it was looking for. But I can't remember which library :-(

I know that's not entirely helpful but hopefully it will give you some useful
search terms. Your best bet is probably to try gaim.

David.

--
David Johnson
http://www.david-web.co.uk/