Re: [LUG] Farseer enterprises - continued

Hi

I went to a computer shop in Lostwithiel the other day and the guy is booting into Knoppix. He is well impressed and certainly looking into selling machine with Linux installed on. But as many people have mentioned his problem would be support of those systems.

A case scenario that had me laughing was some guy walking in and asking how to transfer the signal from his satellite card that went into the back of his computer to his tv. He had a computer in his bedroom which received satellite. He watched most of his programmes on this machine. However at times he wanted to be able to do the same on his tv downstairs! The guy in the computer shop didn't even realise that it was possible to receive satellite to the computer! And the best thing about this scenario - the guy who had the computer was 73!!!

My approach would be to set-up some sort of Linux clinic. Sell the computers configured to be a basic all-in machine. And then offer additional support for installation of other products, but for me the key here is to list all those products in advance. Ok it could end up a big list!!! So get a list of recommended cameras, games, software, etc. Offer a support package that offered to install software updates. I know this would work in a community like Lostwithiel because we all know each other but the other thing is most of the sort of questions I get I am surprised at because they are mundane and I have the knowledge to answer them!!!

Rich
www.littlebigfoot.org.uk
"How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of the messenger bringing good news." Isaiah 52 v 7 (The Message)