Community and freedom : was Re: [LUG] Farseer enterprises

On Friday 10 December 2004 9:40 am, Rob Beard wrote:
Quoting paul sutton <zen14920@xxxxxxxxx>:
 I think aiming these systems at perhaps linux user groups,  would be
better,or even students, going to uni (however even then they may need
both Windows and Linux).   He also said it was difficult to sell blank
systems because of piracy,  etc.

It isn't illegal to sell 'blank' systems.  This is just a Microsoft thing,

"The Redmond Tax".

they want every PC to be sold with a licence, I think Dell got round this
by installing MS-DOS on their servers or something.

But the user is still paying for that licence in the total cost of the
machine. That's what MS want - they don't care what happens after the vendor
has bought yet another licence on your behalf.

Vendors need to be free to sell systems without ever buying a Windows or other
MS licence for that machine. MS will do everything in their power to prevent
exactly that. It's not law, it's stronger than that, it's profit.
:-)

At the end of the day, once the user has bought a PC they can do what they
like with it.

And MS will do what they usually do with the payment for the licence for
software that may never see the light of day.

Currently, one option is to buy a Mac. OK, it's an Apple Tax but it's far less
irksome to support a proprietary company that in turn supports the free
software community. That's why my most recent machine is an iBook.

I know some people who have bought PCs with Windows 98 or ME
on it and they don't have any concerns about borrowing and installing a
pirate copy of Windows XP Pro corporate on their PCs, so if the PC has an
OS or not, it still happens.

And MS still get upset. In the above scenario, as vendors of proprietary
software, they have every right to be upset and as free software proponents,
we should be just as upset that people are so eager to move to piracy instead
of freedom.

I think there is a lot of good reports on Linux and it's made out to be
a great alternative to windows and will do everything (perhaps over
hyped),  what people fail to mention is the extra work that goes into
getting it too work, (e.g dvd drivers, nvidia, drivers etc), not much
for us, but for some will not be good enough.

What people fail to mention is the *community* and that 'nasty' word
*freedom*.

Too many GNU/Linux users:
1. Don't appreciate the work done by GNU.
2. Don't understand the freedom they enjoy.
3. Don't appreciate how that freedom conveys responsibilities onto every
single GNU/Linux user to do whatever they can to contribute to the community.

It doesn't have to be much - just replying to emails on a list like this is
perfectly adequate. I don't reply as much as I used to - but there's a good
reason for that; other (often newer) members have taken on the mantle and the
questions I would have answered are being answered without my help and that's
fantastic.

Do what you can to make the lives of developers easier if you can't develop
stuff yourself. Report bugs, help on mailing lists, write about your
experiences on mailing lists and on Wiki's like ours - ones that get indexed
by Google on a regular basis - think about others, not necessarily on this
list, who would benefit from knowing what you have discovered about GNU/Linux
in your own way. These are all tasks that get left to the developers if
no-one else is free, so helping out makes it easier to develop the next
release, the next feature, the next bug fix.

If you couldn't find the answer you needed easily, write about it and put the
URL. This mailing list archive is regularly indexed by all major search
engines and just mentioning something here will make it easier for someone
else to find the answer they need.

Remember: it's not just Devon and Cornwall that read our list archive,
everyone gets a bite and your contributions should reflect this side of the
community. Just because nobody here particularly needs to know something
specific, doesn't mean you shouldn't put it either on the Wiki or on the
list. Who knows when you might need to refer to that message later on when
someone does ask about exactly that issue?

Use this list, the Wiki and the archive as a tool, as a reference, as an
encyclopedia that you can update and correct.

http://www.dclug.org.uk/wiki/

--

Neil Williams