Re: What is/was your work desktop? was Re: [LUG] SIMS

Quoting Simon Waters:

What is/was your work desktop?

Well at the moment I'm running on a P3-866 with 256MB ram running Windows XP
Pro at work.

In the past pretty much every machine I have had in the past has been running
either Windows XP Pro, 2000 Pro or NT 4.0 (and in the really olden days
Windows 95 and Windows 3.1/DOS 6.22).

In the past few contracts/roles I have had the sites have all be running
Windows/Office with either Lotus Notes/Domino or Outlook/Exchange.

The only time I usually came across any Unix/Linux systems were when I was
working at a scientific research institute.  They did have a couple of dual
boot workstations running RH 7.2 & Windows 2000, and a few DEC Alpha
workstations and servers running Tru64?

At home, I'm running the free version of Mitel's SME Server on my server, SUSE
Linux 9.1/Windows XP Pro SP2 dual boot on my main PC, and I'm in the process
of putting together yet another workstation which I'm going to test out a few
distros on before finally replacing the SME Server with it.

In the past at home I have used mainly Windows 2000/XP/NT 4.0 desktops but
also a bit of Windows 98/95/3.1 and various Linux distos thrown in for good
measure.  The most interesting bit of kit I had was two Sun workstations
(early Sparc workstations @ about 25MHz) one of which I had running a very old
version of Solaris (version 2 I think) and the other running a Sparc version
of RedHat 6.0 which looked lovely on the big Sony 21" monitors I had with them.

Rob