Re: [LUG] Offer of venue for DCGLUG meet

On Tuesday 07 December 2004 17:31, Tony Sumner wrote:

   We can supply demo disks for your meeting if you would like them.&nbsp;

Is it not a common fallacy that open source means you don't eat? What
should I say to her? Are the demo disks of interest?

I would suggest saying either thank you very much, yes please; or thank you
very much but at the moment we are concentrating purely on FLOSS.

And if you want to preach any part of the FLOSS canon I suggest that something
she might not yet know would be the content of the book Martin Fink (VP in
charge of Open Source software (and undoubtedly happy to handle Libre
Software in that) wrote about "The Business and Economics of Linux and Open
Source".  Coincidentally, that is its exact title.

I'm happy to let people read my copy, so long as it doesn't leave a room I'm
in.

US$29.99  ISBN 0-13-047677-3

There are within it several pages mentioning or describing GNU, FSF, Free
Software the GPL and the LGPL, but what it looks hardest at is the various
business models allowing people to eat and some but not necessarily all
software to be FLOSS in some but not necessarily all situations.

I recommend it, and when I heard him speak at UCLA, he made sense.
--
Dr Adrian Midgley          GP  Exeter              www.defoam.net
Open Source is a necessary but not of itself sufficient condition.