Re: [LUG] Free software and users

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 20:17:09 +0100
Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I was under the
impression that _this_ thread was about PowerDVD!

Originally, but I changed the heading.
:-)

Cheat!  I actually hadn't noticed that!  Sylpheed automagically sorts emails into
thread order; I just noticed it was part of the DVD thread.

How the hell could
PowerDVD cause GNU/Linux to be non-Free with a £150 fee per licence?

The process is clear and the more programs that are involved, the more it
weakens the position of free software. You probably noticed that the tickets
to the LinuxWorld Expo were created in a Windows version of Adobe Acrobat
that was incompatible with all GNU/Linux readers - even MacOSX. This kind of
proprietary-only feature creep is insidious and dangerous. I complained in
the strongest terms and I won't let up until I am satisfied.

Yep, I noticed that!  More than slightly annoying.  "Please upgrade to Acrobat
Version xxx"!

Yes, we do, but that doesn't mean that evangelism and closed-mindedness

You know I'm not of a closed mind - but I will stand up against things that
threaten my projects or GNU/Linux or software freedom in general.

Yes, I know.  Having re-read my posting, it does sound like a personal attack.  It
isn't.  It is more than apparent that some (a vocal minority) members of "The
Community" have a very closed mind... re proprietary software!  It is unfortunate
because, IMO, they are potentially causing a setback - people that are not already
"in the know" may identify "The Community" as being full of _those_ type of people.

At least he listened, otherwise we'd all be getting our first taste of the
GNU/Hurd.

Have you used it?  I still can't get the damn thing installed!  I've tried several
times with the K5 release and I never get anywhere!

--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.