[LUG] GLUG - free and non-free

To throw my hat into the ring on this issue, I am happy for this user group to
be renamed in such a way as to recognise that the object of our attention is
called GNU/Linux.

The advantage of using just Linux was that it was a simpler name, more easily
remembered by people who had never heard of it.
"Linux? what's that?"
"It's a completely different operating system for your PC"
"Operating system?"
"It's not windows!"

Nowadays, most people who are ever likely to care, already know what Linux is
- at least at the level described above.  After all, anyone who goes near the
computer magazine shelves at their local Smiths has seen Linux magazines
sitting there.  So - It's high time we pushed on and used a more accurately
descriptive name.
"GNU/Linux?  I've heard of Linux but what's this GNU thing?

It would seem that most of us are supporters of Free Software and the GNU
philosophy. However, I would not want to make people who had questions on
installing this or that piece of commercial/closed source/non-free
patent-encumbered/whatever software on a GNU/Linux system feel that this list
was not for them.

Software Patents are a very grave risk for GNU/Linux.  If I were the CEO of a
software company I would be trying to collect them as fast as possible,
whether I liked the idea or not - it may be the only way to stay in business.
However, as GNU/Linux supporters/advocates/contributors  we simply don't have
that option.  Free Software and software patents are incompatible.
Eventually, one or the other will have to go!

Tony