Re: [LUG] Free software and users

On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 18:42:28 +0100
Paul Sutton <zen14920@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I take it the consensus is that we should rename the group GNU/Linux
user group.  I agree with this because it will emphasise both GNU and
Linux are different but related items,  and  also most questions asked
are GNU issues, not Linux issues as as you rightly point out Linux is
the kernel,  A few weeks ago I had a problem with  a shell script,
which is in effect a GNU issue,  if I had problems with compiling the
kernel for example then that is a kernel (linux) issue.   Matt and Neil
are right in emphasising the difference,  and the importance that people
realise the difference.

If we can change it,  then it will be for the better,  and help new and
existing  users,  and the less time new users spend saying linux and the
more time saying GNU/Linux the better I guess.

<devil's advocate>

Since the vast majority of problems encountered (by the general populous) are not
actually with the Kernel, wouldn't it be more advisable therefore the rename the LUG
a GUG?  A GNU-User Group?  Where should it stop?  Should I recommend to the LPI
that, since the majority of issues covered in their repertoire of questions are to
do with applications written by GNU/FSF and that only a small percentage of it
actually covers the Linux kernel, should it not be renamed the GNU Professional
Institute?

</devil's advocate>

--
Artificial intelligence is no match for nuratal stidutipy.