Re: [LUG] PowerDVD - still non-free and proprietary

Neil Williams wrote:

Do NOT make your system a sacrifice to the proprietary binary. There are enough problems with ePatents without GNU/Linux users ACTIVELY installing proprietary binary programs that are KNOWN to have patent issues.

I dare say for many Linux users, including myself, there are proprietary binaries that make linux a usable single desktop solution. Linux versions of commercial games, vmware etc, all proprietary binaries. Why is it sacrificing your system if you do not believe wholeheartedly in the FSF ethos? I laugh at some of the GNU preaching, but don't go around telling people it's utter tripe on LUG lists as it's my opinion and I respect those with different ideas.

Isn't this a Linux *User* Group? Looking back at recent discussions I really have to side with those who put forward the notion that the most important thing for Linux these days is a large installed user base that go "wow, this is really good", something that definitely can happen with Knoppix etc. The more Users, the more successful a User group?! I didn't argue the case as I don't feel a user group is an appropriate place to discuss the complex politics of Open Source/Free Software at length as it alienates people.

This is someone taking from the community without giving anything back. Like a parasitic louse, it benefits from the flexibility of GNU/Linux but refuses to allow itself to be 'contaminated' by the freedoms that are fundamental to the rest of the GNU/Linux system.

> Just use another program, like Ogle.

In my eyes they are giving something back. Familiar, proprietary programs let people have an easy transition to a new O/S. I despise xine, ogle, mplayer etc as they lack features, and have always been flaky for me. I would certainly consider purchasing a proprietary DVD player package if available since I'd like something that just worked for that. In other fields I am ready to fiddle, just not all the time.

Bottom line for me is that proprietary software can boost the Linux user base, and make linux an acceptable platform for many. Once onto Linux people are likely to experiment with the multitude of OSS available which is a good thing.

DT