Re: [LUG] Gimp 2 & Photoshop

On Sunday 03 Oct 2004 10:47 pm, Tony Atkin wrote:
Having used Gimp2 for a while, there are some changes which I can note.
Each image window has the menus along the top although you can still get at
the menus by right-clicking on the image as of old. There has been some
logical sorting out of the menus with layer specific options going into the
layer menu. Text handling has improved.

Those changes sound useful for a start!

I have no need for more
than 8 bits per channel so I can only say that it does not appear to me as
if 16bit is supported.

16 bit is especially useful with B&W images as it enables changes in tonal
range to be carried out without risking losing tones in the final print.

In my view, if you need Photoshop then you need it and The Gimp is no
replacement.  Personally however, I am not a graphics professional and The
Gimp fills all my needs.  As it is Open Source, there is the added
advantage in that I can use it pretty much on any machine that I want to
(including those running windows!) without having the annoying difficulty
of sorting out licensing problems with 3 figure sums of money. Learning how
to use any powerful software application takes a real investment of time
and I don't want to feel that investment might be lost in the future.
</rant>

Too right! Although Photoshop is a class leader, I cannot imagine why it costs
around £500. Lets not get on to Quark Express!

Thanks,
Peter.