Re: [LUG] Gimp 2 & Photoshop

On Monday 04 Oct 2004 00:05, Peter Butterfield wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone been using Gimp v2? I use 1.2.3 at present but still much prefer
photoshop (I have to go into windows anyway as I can't get the Minolta
Dimage Scan Elite 5400 to work under sane or wine yet). If I want to work
on an image whilst in Linux, I can only use the Gimp if the scan is 8 bits
per channel rather than 16. I have got wine to start up photoshop but with
the tools annoyingly occupying all four desktops and always to the front of
other apps. So, is Gimp 2 much better; do I have to forgo 16bit; has anyone
come across the tools problem (I'm searching the net for this one as well)?

Having used Gimp2 for a while, there are some changes which I can note.
Each image window has the menus along the top although you can still get at
the menus by right-clicking on the image as of old. There has been some
logical sorting out of the menus with layer specific options going into the
layer menu. Text handling has improved. I'm sure there are other improvements
but none that have proved significant to me so far. The range of filters and
operations has stayed much the same. I have no need for more than 8 bits per
channel so I can only say that it does not appear to me as if 16bit is
supported.

In my view, if you need Photoshop then you need it and The Gimp is no
replacement.  Personally however, I am not a graphics professional and The
Gimp fills all my needs.  As it is Open Source, there is the added advantage
in that I can use it pretty much on any machine that I want to (including
those running windows!) without having the annoying difficulty of sorting out
licensing problems with 3 figure sums of money. Learning how to use any
powerful software application takes a real investment of time and I don't
want to feel that investment might be lost in the future. </rant>

Tony