Re: [LUG] Promoting GNU/Linux through computer shop

On Friday 02 Apr 2004 9:34 am, Kai Hendry wrote:

Running linux on "budget" machines, is a waste of time.

A bit of a sweeping statement Kai. There are non Debian/broadband home desktop
<users> out there in the real world.

Six months ago I set up MK v9.0, on an AMD 400 box made up of spares plus a
vintage Epson printer, for an elderly lady (70 years old) as her first ever
PC so that she could exchange emails with her children and g. children etc.;
as well as bash out the odd letter and browse the Web.  She lives over a
hundred miles away from me so I left her with simple written instructions on
how to operate the machine.

She is delighted and has used it daily for the past 6 months without a crash,
blue screen, virus etc.

Budget? - Nil.
Value? - Priceless.
"Feelgood" Factor - Enduring :-)