[LUG] distros and "drivers" as such

Posted by "Andrew Pearce" <frankblack@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

In general I've noticed that people are generally looking at linux with a distro
specific viewpoint.

I can understand this if you're new and it's certainly a good idea to use what the
distributers
have provided if possible: rpm's, deb's etc.

Try to look at it like this: RedHat, or SUSE, or Gentoo is basically just a
collection of
linux programs that have been tested together to see if they're reliable. You don't
have to
use RedHat, SUSE or anything. If you like you can use no distribution and just use
everything
from scratch.

You don't have to stick to what SUSE or redhat provide. Generally `drivers` as such
have very little to do with the distribution; it's all to do with the kernel.

Sure, the distributors provide kernels pre-compiled for you but you don't have to
stick with
that. It's just a good idea if you want something to be tried and tested really.

Generally after a while it's essential that you figure out the process of compiling
your own
kernel, really because that's what linux is all about. If not have a look at the
mandrakeuser
docs that I find are the best from a readability point of view:

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/docs/index.html

Have a look down to the kernel bit for a basic intro.

For more detailed help I prefer:

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml

and then for really detailed stuff:

http://www.tldp.org/

All this of course takes time.

** But once you've got the linux bug it's a whole new world **

As for compatibility, RedHat SUSE and mandrake run there own lists but I like to
keep
independant if I can, either by looking through the menu's when you "make xconfig"
your kernel,
or for speed:

http://www.linuxcompatible.org/compatibility.html

All this can be a bit of a jump but it's easier when you know how, I actually
prefer trying
to do things by hand now because I find it freeing and more predictable.

Hopefully I'll be able to show how to compile and install a 2.6 kernel on the next
meet up
if you like.

Many thanks.
--