Re: [LUG] sendfax and jpg graphics

On Tuesday 11 November 2003 15:18, Adrian Midgley wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 November 2003 13:16, John Daragon wrote:
> > In order to merge a .gif or .jpg you're going to have to jump through
> > the following hoops :
>
> I'm pond-life as a programmer, but it seems to me the easy way is to get a
> file which contains the top 10 lines (50 scan lines or so) of a page with

98 or 196, since you ask, assuming 10pt and ITU-T rules...

> the desired logo on in all its streaky glory, and hold that.
>
> Then get the variant part made into a file for faxing, then send the
> headers, then the first file, then the second file to the modem.  Merging
> is a bit OTT.
>
> The most I'd expect you to have to do would be some arithmetic if there is
> a filesize in the header of a fax file.

That is (or may be ...) fine for a particularly structured logo or letterhead
and if your target is always a roll fax machine.  In my experience that
approach would eventually result in a call from the client complaining that
the page length had changed and documents destined for plain-paper faxes no
longer fit on a page...

Your mileage, of course, may vary.

jd

--
John Daragon           argv[0] limited               john@xxxxxxxxxx
Lambs Lawn Cottage, Staple Fitzpaine, Taunton TA3 5SL, UK