Re: [LUG] Messed up config file

On Sun, 2003-08-17 at 17:57, Mike Tidball wrote:
> Ive been trying to get the nvidia 3D drivers installed and the final step according to an artical I read somewhere on the net was to alter a config file.
> The trouble was i didnt have the file they refered to only 3 similarly named files.
> I edited them all as changing the first made no difference but now when the login screen is about to display the screen flickers about 3 times and then goes to a login screen with just a promp.I think X is failing to start.
> I can cd to the directory and dir it to see the 3 files but I dont know the commands to open them so I can edit them back and save them.
> Any help would be apprciated.
> Mike Tidball

Oh ouch!

u must have something there to edit them. Try

mc
vi
emacs

They all contain help files. Or even better man mc or man vi before you
open them.

Just a word of advice when ever changing .config files or any for that
matter try this

cp /etc/filename /etc/filenameORIGINAL ,etc being the directory in which
the file resides. Hey but i had to learn that the hard way as well ;)

Also when ever you change anything. make a comment the hash '#' sign.
This tells the system to ignore the following text.

i.e

VertRefresh 50.0-100.0 # Luke changed this to see if it made a
difference!