[LUG] Messed up config file

Ive been trying to get the nvidia 3D drivers installed and the final step according to an artical I read somewhere on the net was to alter a config file.
The trouble was i didnt have the file they refered to only 3 similarly named files.
I edited them all as changing the first made no difference but now when the login screen is about to display the screen flickers about 3 times and then goes to a login screen with just a promp.I think X is failing to start.
I can cd to the directory and dir it to see the 3 files but I dont know the commands to open them so I can edit them back and save them.
Any help would be apprciated.
Mike Tidball

Lynx friendly