Re: [LUG] upgrading

On Wednesday 11 Dec 2002 9:54 am, Mike Chidley wrote:
I`ll shortly be receiving a new computer :-)..... my question is how best
to move my system from my old computer to my new computer as I have never
done this before.

If you decide not to rip the hard drive from the old machine, it's not that
hard to install Linux on a new system with the configuration from an
existing system. Then you'll also have a spare system that can be used as a
firewall or router etc.

I am giving my old computer to my mum..she is giving me a "contribution" to my
new computer :-) If I do take the 20 gig HD out it`ll still leave an 8 gig
one which should be plently for Windows 98 and the modest requirements.

Make a backup of the home directory as a tarball - you can then decompress
the entire home directory and restore all your email accounts, bookmarks,
GnuPG key rings, etc.
As long as you are installing the same distro version on the new machine,
it should be fine.

This could be a good idea.

The vast majority of the data on that drive will not need to be copied to
the new system. It seems a waste of your existing system to rip the hard
drive out of it when you could simply copy the essential data across to a
new install. Plus you'll have to re-configure the existing system.

only going to leave windows on the old computer.....don`t think my mum is
ready for LINUX yet :-)  Although I might have a play with VNC so I can log
onto her computer when she has a problem.

Potentially, the hardest thing to do could be to get X to work with your
new system, graphics card etc. especially if you've forked out for a TFT
panel. That's why I'd say it's best to leave that to the RedHat installer
and simply copy the essential data only.

No TFT :-(  only 17" CRT...............

If I was to repartition the 40 gig drive how much would XP require, should I
go for 30/10 ,  20/20 or 10/30?

I seem to have 16gig of linux stuff at the moment...

Mike