Re: [LUG] Backup

Jon Still wrote:

The good news is DDS-1 tapes are highly portable, and can be
read be all later DDS standards! The bad news is they aren't
very long.

I understand this is 2GB raw, 4GB uncompressed.  What can I use to compress
the data - is gzip going to play nicely with tape devices?

Typically DDS devices do their own compression, but yes you can
pipe stuff through a compression tool first, it'll be more
efficiently compressed by gzip, what effect it'll have on
throughput or memory demands is another question.

I forget the terminology, "line compression"?, I think the
devices do little more than spot short duplicated sequences to
get their alleged 2 fold compression. The claim was always a
factor of 2, and they usually used the higher number for
marketing.

I thought DDS-1 was 1GB raw, nominally HP sold 1.3GB tapes at 60
meters length.

Quick Google suggests DDS-1 (Hey isn't it just DAT at that
point?) tapes seem to be available that are longer than 60
meters. It is perfectly possible, indeed likely, that the 60
meter limit was to do with reliability than a technical
limitation, but I seem to remember not using more than 60M with
DDS-1 for some reason.