Re: [LUG] aaaah, another kernel panic!

On Sunday 11 August 2002 9:53 am, Alex Charrett wrote:
On Sun, 2002-08-11 at 09:15, Neil Williams wrote:

This time on the laptop.

Now I get a kernel panic about not finding init

(hence the init failure?)

I've got /etc/fstab OK now, as far as I can tell, but still I'm getting the
init failure. LILO linux single init=/bin/bash doesn't even work.

Why am I still getting the kernel panic? The rescue CD can mount hda3 and
hda2 fine, fsck says they are clean (at least until the next kernel panic)
and I've restored the journal using tune2fs -j

e2label gives the same results as the fstab labels.

I'm now trying to use the RedHat 7.2 install CD to run an upgrade (hoping to
remove most packages from the upgrade list) but it has sat here for >45mins
at the Finding packages to upgrade stage. It hasn't died, but it's not doing
much disc activity either.

I've given up now, a Ctrl-Alt-Del, reboot to linux rescue from CD1, not
mounted the current installation and run fsck again on hda3 and hda2.

Can't figure out what's causing the kernel panic. If I let the panic occur,
then go back to the rescue, mount the current install this time, I get
nothing obvious at the end of dmesg. BUT

Umm, /var/log/messages doesn't exist? (not even with the new root:
/mnt/sysimage/var/log/messages ) var/log exists, but contains garbage. Just
before the garbage, I've got:
Something broke setting the slave flags: %s
Set the slave's flags %4.4x
SIOCSIFSLAVE: %d (%s)
%s: unknown interface

but the time stamp for that is Aug 27 last year??

I've found messages: usr/lib/kde3/kcm_kdf.la/messages
??

The last entry is last night, shutting down interface eth0: succeeded. Same
with boot.log

What IS going on?

- --

Neil Williams