Re: [LUG] aaaah, another kernel panic!

On Sun, 2002-08-11 at 09:15, Neil Williams wrote:

This time on the laptop.

Stupid suspend operation failed because of a useless chipset on the
cheap+nasty Advent. :-(

Now I get a kernel panic about not finding init

Could anyone running RedHat 7.2 email me with a sample /etc/fstab ?

Mine seems corrupted (it had no entry for mounting /dev/hda3 as / when I
looked!) and although I've got the rest mounted, I can't figure out what
happens to mount /boot

(hence the init failure?)

The fs seems OK now, although I might have lost the journal. I'm hoping that
can be re-created.

I've got backups for /home, but I didn't make a tarball of /etc Duh!

I'd expect at /boot fstab line to read something like

/dev/hda1       /boot   ext2(or 3)      defaults        1 2

I've got a RH 7.2 fstab here but its not really standard as the disks
are mirrored. FYI, the pri=1 stuff in the swap is so that it stripes the
swap over the 2 disks - you don't normally need this.

/dev/md1                /                   ext2    defaults        1 1
/dev/md0                /boot               ext2    defaults        1 2
/dev/md2                /home               ext2    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts            devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /proc               proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm            tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda6               swap                swap    defaults,pri=1  0 0
/dev/hdc6               swap                swap    defaults,pri=1  0 0

Alex.