Re: [LUG] mod_age and academic list hit by virus in race period

On Thursday 18 July 2002 1:14 pm, Simon Waters wrote:
Theo Zourzouvillys wrote:
postfux

your typing gets more amusing all the time

whooooops ;p

they just seem to be stored in my brain liek that. i raised a few smiles at a
recent meeting with some BT engineers when i said "smurftime" instead of
"surftime" without even thinking about it. it took me a few seconds to
realise why they were chuckling to themselfs ;p

I'm a hardcore exim fan, it does waht I need it too perfectly

ditto - isn't that what they said about sendmail.

try getting the snaildmail fans to store userdata in MySQL easily, or
automatically encrypting emails to a specified public key before storign on
the server - or adding embeded perl filters/scripts ;)

Haven't braved Courier, I've mostly seen it referred to as an
IMAP component to use with Postfix/Qmail etc.

i think courier is attempting to become a full email server suite, pop3(s),
imap(s), smtp(s), webmail, and web interface ... all integrated together
together with modular support so you can use whatever backend datastore you
like.   May be very nice.

it may be time for me to write a nice simple sexy MTA, designed for an
ISP's needs (not one designed to try to cater for ewveryones needs),
threaded, taking advantange of libc6, etc...

I have the same feeling about most of these protcols, except I
want to rewrite them in Java. My Java needs more practice
first..... Much as Dan's coding style is quite tight, C is C, by
the time you link it with sensibly secured libraries underneath
you might as well have used Java in the first place ;)

;)

i dislike java out of principal - don't ask me why, i just find it to be a
very nice, but evil language - much like the MS-MFC implementation is to
C++, totally useful and addictive, but plain evil.

one of my partners, ben was force fed java at uni on a cs course - since then
he has nightmares about it, bless his poor lost soul. maybe thats why i've
avoided it ;)

i have only been forced to use java once - Barclays merchant services provide
an API for integrating credit card payments into your current systems,  and
guess what? they provided pre-compiled java, windows, solaris, and hpux
libraries, but nothing for linux (yes, i've moaned and moaned and moaned, but
it's uselsss with barclays), so off i went on my little escapade with java,
ben writting the java code to link to our accouns system, and me writting the
API to join the two (via a serial cable on a server with no conenctivity
except a private leased line).

now my bitching is this:  java has terrible support for linking with perl or
C/C++... want to run perl from C/C++? C(++) from perl? link C to a C++
library? python from C, C from python?, it's all nice and simple.

but running java from C, or C from java seems nigh impossible - maybe i'm
missing something obvious, but, errrrrr, dammn the language ;)

 Simon, whose been playing with dnscache

woo woo! he's seen the light! amen! :p

*duck*

Do I have to rebuild it to handle more than 200 outstanding
recursive clients, I would read the web page, but Dan's DNS
appears to be down ;)

cy.yp.to looks fine to me? mayBe your current dns resolver is playing up?
*ducks again* ;)

~ theo

- --

Theo Zourzouvillys
http://zozo.org.uk/

A tall, dark stranger will have more fun than you.