Databases was Re: [LUG] furthering the revolution: ECDL

kevin bailey wrote:

also - from the VB designers it is possible for VB to link directly to a
postgres/linux DB.  this makes designing as easy as if the DB was a MS
product.

Don't get me wrong, I'm anti-proprietary languages in general,
but they have their place, especially if your forced to
integrate proprietary systems.

VB gets maligned for all the wrong reasons, mostly people
rehashing arguments suggesting if you don't support every
conceivable OO programming concept directly it's a dead
language, and then the detractor go back to coding in C ;).

Of course anyone who has used proprietary languages know the
real problem is when the vendor decided to clean the language
up, or drop support.

the only downside is that the enterprise manager for SQL server is very
good and certainly better than any front-ends for postgres.  but i think
pgaccess for postgres is very good and i would be more than happy with
using it,

I survive on text only interfaces to Oracle. Depends what you do
with databases of course, but I find 99% of stuff I want to do
to a relational database you need to script so you can redo it
on the live database exactly, or place it under version control,
or show what you did to the next level of support (who look at
you sceptically when you say "all I did was...." unless you
present them a log file).